Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Buffy Ballads WILL Rise Again...


Dear Buffy blog,

I know it's been a while. A long while. Maybe you thought I'd forgotten you forever. Even through our time apart, I've thought about you a lot. I don't know what I was waiting for -- more songs, more subjects for smalltalk, "the perfect moment" which never came. Okay, I'm cutting the excuses and telling you outright I'm sorry. Sorry if you felt abandoned; neglected; unloved. Wait a second, you don't have feelings. You're not a person, or an animal, or even an inanimate object. Heck, your existence is completely confined to the realm of cyberspace! What am I doing, gushing my guilt to this abstract idea of a thing when I should really be talking to the fans?
PAUSE. REWIND. Long-awaited-Buffy-ballad-blog Take 2.

*****

Dear Buffy fans and supporters of the Buffy ballads,

I know it's been a while. A long while. The Ballads to the Buffy Big Bads may have even appeared dead. I'd like to think of them as entering the afterlife, and as you know, in the world of vampires the afterlife is the most exciting stage! The beast has been bitten, the blood has been mingled, and now the creature is in its coffin taking a little beauty rest before it rises again; this time bigger, badder, stronger, sexier, and more unstoppable than ever before.

And what, you may ask, is in said coffin? Not one, not two, but THREE new songs -- a country western ballad for Anya, an R&B hip-hop song for Faith, and a classic rock power ballad for Glory. All three songs have melodies and lyrics. My trusty pianist David Bickford helped me arrange the chord progressions, but due to scheduling conflicts, I will need to find some other folks to help me out with accompanying and recording the tracks. I'm rooting around for a guitar player for the Anya song; shuffling through my musician friends before braving the list of Craig. (I also have to remember, though, that craigslist was how I found David in the first place, and who knows what the Buffy ballads would be without him?) As for the Faith song, I'm going to see if I can get some help from my neighbors CJ, lead singer of R&B pop boy band The Score. We have some tentative plans to meet and work on stuff so now I've just got to get over my head trips and go for it. (Okay, I've put it in writing. It WILL come true.)

So yes, I am taking steps in the process to release the next songs. Baby Buffy steps which will hopefully result in bigger ones to come. One itty bitty accomplishment I made this morning was finding a contender for a costume for the Anya video, which is next. It doesn't have fringes, but I think if I do my hair big enough, it will come off as just the right amount of country. I will do my best to be more diligent in keeping you posted. I can't wait to get going on the new material, and I hope you are excited too.

Yours eagerly,
Reluctant Fan Girl

PS The picture at the top of the page is of a tag I ripped off a denim purse. (I didn't buy the purse just for the tag, but it seems like a pretty good omen all the same.)

No comments:

Post a Comment